Congratulations, you just closed on your new home. Now what?
After move-in check list:
☐ Hook up your utilities, including:
· Water, sewer, gas, trash. You must present proof of purchase at the Customer Service counter so make sure you bring your closing documents with you.
· Internet and Cable. If you already have service in the area, transferring service to a new address is easy. Setting up new service is easy as well but expect to wait several days to a week for new service install.
☐ Contact USPS to forward mail to your new address
☐ Notify the IRS (Form 8822) and change your address on your:
☐ Driver’s License
☐ Credit Cards
☐ House of Worship
☐ Personal and Business Banking
☐ Insurance Companies
☐ Voter Registration
☐ Employer Paperwork
☐ Doctor’s Office
☐ Purchase a fireproof safe and store important home documents inside.
☐ Introduce yourself to your new neighbors. And if you feel like overachieving, leave a short and sweet note for them with a home-baked treat.
☐ Get familiar with your home. Locate your HVAC filters and water shut off valve and take a picture of your circuit breaker labels.
☐ Purchase emergency supplies:
· Flashlights and Batteries
· Emergency Radio and Fire Extinguisher (most home insurance policies will give you a discount if you have a fire extinguisher in the house. Ask your agent!)
· Power Bank (for emergency cell phone charging)
· Extra Water
· Canned Food
· First Aid Kit
Did you purchase a new home? Keep track of your 30-day punch list. Notify your family and friends of your new address and throw a housewarming party